27 March 2006

Music Moods

During graduate school I started listening to hip-hop – that is, when I wanted a complete break from studying. Usually this respite from academic work also coincided with a trip to a club and probably an alcoholic beverage or two. Since then, hip-hop has been the soundtrack of a more reckless version of myself.

When I am moody or looking to be productive in an intense sort of way, I turn towards more independent rock.

Unfortunately, balance for me is probably best signified by a heavy rotation of pop in the vein of Kelly Clarkson. Good thing I am hardly ever balanced.

Ever since my way too eventful New Years Eve, I have been in productive mode with my moody music (with one notable detour on St. Patrick’s Day). God help me, I even have downloaded a Coldplay song (“Fix You,” the only one I find even mildly palatable).

Following this past weekend’s conference I am excited to say I am most likely headed into a PhD program. More of course will be said about this change in outlook, but right now you are probably wondering what this has to do with the previous four paragraphs. Well, it seems dreams of a healthy Kelly Clarkson-filled lifestyle are again being placed on hold in favor of five more years of Seth Cohen intermixed with the occasional wild outing with my morally questionable friends The Pussy Cat Dolls and 50 Cent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home