01 March 2006

Someone's Got a Case of the Mondays

Written Monday:

Today my pants ripped, displaying a not-oft seen part of my body – signifying the end and representing the whole of what has been a pretty awful day. Yet another metaphor for this less than thrilling day is the weather outside. My wimpy umbrella and soon-to-be torn pants were no match for the downpour that soaked me on my normally relaxing walk to work. No cup of coffee could cheer me up – and I had three. Determined to shake my pissy mood I ate comfort foods including my usual Hershey’s Kisses, stolen from a neighboring office.

Weather and wet clothes alone don’t normally bring me down, but I am also still learning a lot at work – namely how not to get my emotions involved in office matters. Long gone are the days of student employment, where you are hired because they can tell you will benefit from the experience and the boss makes sure you are growing professionally within the environment (oh CalSO how you spoiled me). Instead I relay bad news to people who don’t want to hear it and then take on the guilt of having disappointed them. I think the secret is retaining an emotional core but realizing your limitations and power in the individual situations. For the situations I dealt with today, my power was nil – therefore I must eat my comfort food, complain to my blog, go spinning and thus hopefully retain some semblance of a de-stressed being by the end of the night.

I had a perfect weekend, and while you would think that would be a plus, it rather makes going to work even harder. Thinking about sunny days playing wiffle ball in the park (I just learned I am a left-handed batter this Saturday – I could have used this information about a decade ago!) does not make answering slews of email seem enticing.

So weekend memories, chaotic office drama and dreary weather all combined to produce a day well represented by my split pants. Now don’t worry, the comfort food hasn’t all gone to my thighs…rather I was wearing a pair of brand new pants that zip in the back (first mistake) and the zipper simply broke. It had been stubborn all day and I should have known better. I am hoping it wasn’t until my walk home that they decided to give out, but alas I will never know.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nicki said...

Long time reader, first time commenter...:)

I think it's time to go shopping for some replacement pants, don't you?

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home