23 January 2006

Calatrava

As many of you know, the city of Redding commissioned a bridge by the now famous Santiago Calatrava who is also designing the new transportation hub at the WTC's Ground Zero. Reactions to the bridge in Redding have varied. Many feel the bridge has been a huge waste of taxpayer/foundation money, however, some have come around since the Sundial Bridge opened a few years ago. My father specifically went from skeptic to believer and now joins my mom in hoping I will choose this location for my wedding (they are just a tad ahead of themselves). But Calatrava's design have been both lauded and criticized recently in both Slate (likened to kitsch) and The New York Review of Books.
So specifically for my Redding readers (there are more of you than anyone else) here is the link to the NYRB article - It is not too often Redding gets a mention in a highbrow publication:
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/18554

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home