22 December 2005

Hope for the Holidays

I am working on two separate postings right now, one from work and one from home. I wanted to add a link to Rebecca Solnit's most recent article at the end of one of the forthcoming posts, but since I am taking longer than anticipated, I am simply going to link this article here for your reading pleasure.

I enjoy a good-ole-fashioned commercialized Christmas just like the next person, but the situation in the world often makes feeling secure and happy at this time of year rather hard. The other night I sat talking with some long-lost friends at The Bitter End (an SF bar with a really fun pub quiz) and I realized just how widespread feelings of political hopelessness have become amongst my peer group. The issues seem insurmountable, and individuals feel they lack agency (the ability to affect change). I am thankful for my ability to remain hopeful and attribute these qualities to my upbringing, my introspective friends that listen to me babble, and my faith that there is a pragmatic middle ground within this seemingly polarized world - we just need to shed light upon it! So here, to bring you all a little hope during this holiday season is a very thoughtful article by Rebecca Solnit, published in Mother Jones.

2005: Bad Year for Goliath. How About David?

I have been following the Taco Bell strike she discusses since college, and the news that it ended successfully thrills me. However, I don't think I am going to start eating at Taco Bell any time soon. Happy Holidays


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home