26 July 2005

Family in Sweden - written 20 July

Thanks to my "site manager" Nicki, my blog is up and running again. After typing two entries from Parnu in Estonia on a computer that was only functioning in Japanese, I pressed "delete this blog" instead of "re-publish this blog." I supressed tears and frantically emailed internet-savy Nicki for help. Since "deleting" my blog, I have not written much. While I have a long entry to type out about my adventure to Ikla to find my grandfather's old home, that will probably have to wait until I return. Staying with family in Sweden this past week has lessened my access to the internet as they have activities planned for us every second.

I am writing from the train going from Toreboda, a small town on the Gota Canal, to Goteborg (or Gothenburg in English). We spent three days in Askersund, the town of 5,000 where I spent childhood summers. It was as cute as I remembered it from my last visit at age 12. My two great uncles (brothers to "mormor") are no longer alive, but one uncle's wife, Birgitta (who visited us in California this past sept.) showed us a wonderful time. We continued to eat massive ammounts of food: fil-milk (processed sour milk, think thinner Nancy's plain yogurt!), musli, bread and cheese. I am starting to remember why I returned from Sweden as a 7 year-old with high cholesteral. Both Birgitta and her friend Britt (who also visited us in Cali) have been so kind to us, and even made vegetarian options for me at mid-afternoon dinners when everyone else is eating fish and elk meat! Glad to be a vegetarian.

In Askersund we visited Hembysgarden, a park where the locals have restored old-18th century homes (these are all over Sweden). Birgitta, my great-uncle Hugo, and great-grand parents Tobias and Agnes, have played large roles in the sucess of this park, so it was interesting to see again. The next day we traveled to Britt's home in Tiveden Forest. Tived is where the trolls live in Swedish folklore (didn't see any unfortunately). Back in Askersund I visited some of my favorite shops from my childhood, a woodworking store and Lek & Bo, the store where I purchased a large portion of my Lego collection!

We said good-bye to Birgitta and Britt after three days which was very hard.- Britt drove us to Halna where I then have had a whirlwind experience meeting relatives that my mom met five years ago. We stayed with Arne (mormor's second cousin) and his wife Iavor. Throughout the next two days we met all three of their children, visited their homes and were even introduces to their "barnbarn" (grandchildren), my fifth cousins!!

It was cloudy and probably only about 65 degrees outside but Arne and Iavor told me I was not a real Swede unless I went swimming in the lake behind their house. So I showed them! I jumped off their pier and proceeded to swim about twenty minutes. After exiting the water I quickly got a back headache and had a nap - so I guess my "real Swede" status is still open for discussion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home