14 July 2005

The Tallinn Taxi

Miraculously we survived the ferry. I acclimated to the concept of the ferry, but never to the constant motion. I cannot say the same for mymom, but we arrived in Tallinn just the same. We arrived by taxi at the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in (my mom's travel agent booked a five star hotel - I think they perceive post-communist Europe as a gang-ridden war zone).

Rick Steves (travel guide book) informed my mother that taxis in Estonia overcharge, sometimes up to 35 kroner (oooh, a whole extra two dollars!) so shedecided to share the details of her father's journey from Estonia in hopes of coaxing him into charging her the non-tourist price. By the end of the ride she was finally convinced he was an honest man and felt he deserved a tip. After pulling out a five to offer him his tip, she sensed she had made a faux-pas and in front of the hotel, declared to all with her hands above her head, "I don't know the value of this money!" In a less flustered tone she added, "...but I am sure I will learn." Some good that will do the taxi driver who she tipped 40 cents!

In the future I promise to make an effort to equally cover my own blunders, so as to convince my mom this blog doesnät exist solely at her expense. I have so much more written, but no more time to copy it onto computer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home