11 July 2006

Engagement Announcement: Elena Mary Birch-Carl, William Matthew Ayers (slightly less formal than they do it in the NYTimes)

Four summers ago, Sen, Elena and I set off on a backpacking journey across Europe. We had met four years prior in that lovably cultish organization known as the Cal Band and were celebrating our graduation with a vacation.



Left behind in Berkeley as we jaunted off to explore the Mediterranean was Elena’s new boyfriend Matt. So when Elena (definitely the mellow member of our threesome) was visibly excited and anxious about seeing him again – this was definitely a sign he was going to be around for a while.

Last week Matt and Elena were engaged! Watching their relationship develop over the past few years has made me happy for them – but I can honestly say it has also made me happy for me. In Matt I have found another friend – and one who always has strong opinions about my personal life ☺. I have also witnessed the growth of a great relationship – a model I can only hope to emulate in my own life (that is, whenever I decide to catch up to Elena maturity-wise). Not only do they obviously care deeply for one another, Matt’s silliness challenges Elena’s more reserved behavior – and this is really fun to watch. Plus while Elena and I struggled through grad school together (her with problem sets, me history books) Matt often slaved away at the stove to keep us energized for studying. Needless to say, I am very happy to officially announce to my blog readers that these two will be together for the long haul. I can only hope their kitchen remains open to me when I start school again in a year.

Might I also mention that while on the same trip to Europe I was casually beginning to study GRE vocabulary, wherein I came across the word “penurious” – which basically means thrifty – although I think the connotation leans more toward the negative, as in stingy – but I digress. Because Elena was (and remains) much more inclined to budgeting her money on the trip than either Sen or I, when coming up with sentences to remember my vocab, I jokingly decided upon “Elena is penurious.” Well look who is laughing now? Elena and Matt also started the process of purchasing a home the same night they were engaged. I hear it is a 2-bedroom – looking for a squatter, Elena? I have housesitting experience – hehe. Congratulations to my favorite home owning, pie-eating, vegetarian cooking, cycling and penurious (except when it comes to bike gear) couple!



And to commemorate their engagement, an adorable photo of them last Halloween, dressed as the bulter and maid who were caught compromised in the broom closet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home