12 June 2006

Thoreau Stole My Idea, and other long overdue musings

Summer has officially started since I last posted that beautiful picture of myself working at 3AM.

Breanne got married! We unfortunately haven’t seen each other too often in the past few years (but since she just moved to the Bay Area this will quickly be remedied) but there is something to be said for knowing someone throughout your childhood – before you are cognizant of image – before you are even remotely cool. At the reception I sat next to my fifth and seventh grade teachers who recalled how Breanne and I walked around elementary and middle school as two mismatched peas in a pod – with almost of foot of height difference between us. According to Tom (formerly known to me as Mr. A.) I was extremely shy and giggled a lot. In that moment I felt both how much, and how little, has changed. My shyness is not so debilitating these days, but I am still no natural extrovert. I may be socialite material after having imbibed a Redbull Vodka or two, but my innate (and sober) inclination leads me to create close knit groups of friends wherein I feel comfortable enough to be the “loud-and-obnoxious” Leah that lies dormant around unsuspecting acquaintances.

Speaking of “L-and-O” Leah – she has been MIA of late. Following one night of debauchery to signify the end of the climate conference, I have slipped into social-scene hibernation in favor of triathlon training and familial visitation. However, with trips to DC next month, Boston in the fall and football season just around the corner, I can assure you all that my inner socialite will re-emerge soon. Tom-tom and Havhad prove too powerful to stay on my best behavior.

Recent forays into the great outdoors have been invigorating but not satisfying. I was under the impression that for weekend warriors, the outdoor adventures that comprise Saturday and Sunday were supposed to propel you through the lulls of the workweek. Upon finishing our weekend trip to Tahoe last Sunday, John and Christian shared the sentiment that after such an adventurous weekend, they would be fine working in their offices for the next month. I have not found this to be the case. One taste of the outdoors, of active travel, and I am hooked – I want to read books about training for long bike rides, to make my dad teach me how to drive a boat, to go on long river trail walks with Danika, to learn how to start a fire without a Duraflame log – and I don’t want to go sit in my office from 8-5 Monday through Friday! There is nothing satisfying for me about the traveling and the outdoors – but it is overwhelmingly compelling and addicting. Funny, I feel the same way about reading academic history books. I made the mistake of visiting the library during my lunch hour last week – it was very hard to leave. If only I could combine the outdoors and my intellectual curiosity…damn, Thoreau stole my idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home